CALIPSOplus includes two packages for industries, one of them entitled “Tailor-made for SMEs Trans-national Access (TamaTA)” that allows SMEs (Small and Medium Enterprises) to carry out a full experiment or set of experiments in unique research infrastructures facilities such as the light source facilities. To ease access and to reduce costs, a remote access mode is defined based on sample mail-in without physical presence of the industrial researcher at the facility. This type of access is particularly valuable for SMEs located in countries without a national light source, whereas it will promote light sources use by SMEs located in regions around an existing light source.
To provide a framework for promoting this access scheme to SMEs, those experiments and works will be carried out free of charge for the SME and a “voucher scheme” for a pre-defined amount of beamtime and of data analysis respectively is introduced.
CALL FOR PROPOSALS
The access procedure is sufficiently fast to cope with the usual industrial timeframe requirements while meeting access requirements of CALIPSOplus. In that sense call for proposals will be launched periodically although the evaluation process will take place in a continuous way upon reception of the industrial proposals.
Access can be requested by industrial researchers working for companies based on EU or associated countries considered as SMEs (http://ec.europa.eu/growth/smes/business-friendly-environment/sme-definition_en ): (1) it must have less than 250 employees and (2) a turnover equal or lower than €50m or a total Balance sheet equal or lower than €43m. Industrial researchers of SMEs based on third countries can be supported as far as the cumulative access provided to them is below 20% of the total amount of units of access.
Only one proposal per SME and per Call for proposals will be accepted. If the proposal is rejected, it can be rewritten and resubmitted during the same Call.
Under the H2020 transnational access scheme the company must be located in a country different from the one where the light source is located however under the remote access mode that restriction does not apply.
The SME researchers will prepare the proposals describing the experiment to be performed. It is recommended that SMEs contact light sources to discuss their proposals to reach a maturity level for their submissions.
Industrial proposals will be submitted by the SME researchers through the electronic application system implemented as a single entry point for all light sources at this page.
SMEs are encouraged to contact directly to any of the following light sources to better prepare the industrial proposals:
Leader: CELLS (ALBA Synchrotron) (Barcelona, Spain)
AFTER PROPOSAL SUBMISSION
After proposal submission the main steps to be accomplished are as follows:
- It will be checked that no other proposal of the same SME is active or has been active in that particular Call.
- The proposals technical feasibility assessment will be performed by the selected light source.
- An independent Panel of Experts will evaluate the proposals based on scientific merit, on innovation and on potential impact. The evaluation will be performed in a continuous way to ensure the faster possible response.
- Evaluation feedback will be provided to the SME proposers.
- The SME´s proposals favourable evaluated will be contacted by the preferred light sources for preparing the experiment with the SME following their internal access rules in terms of safety and ethical issues, additional information required, etc…
- The light source and the SMEs will detail the work to be carried out and to determine the access hours, the data analysis hours and the date to be carried out the work. In case of disagreement the light source will have the final decision including the no acceptance of the proposal.
- In case of agreement an “access voucher” for the above pre-defined number of hours will be issued by the light source. It does not exclude to follow other formalities required by the light source.
- The work will be executed by the light source in accordance with the proposal, the SME and the access awarding. A report of the work performed will be submitted to the SME by the light source.